Pages

Thursday, April 13, 2017

NaPoWriMo Day 10: Mythological

Pursuit Of

In dreams I am Daphne, roots reaching toward solid ground
skin bark-hardened under the glare of that Apollo sun
trading blood for sap as my soft reality
shifts to heavy heartwood


Cover with green earth, this heart
its home in mountain passes
Let blossoms sprout from my eyes
until all I see
is yellow pollen sky


Stretch my starving arms like antennas
tuned to your affection
These bones are the foundation
of a promise

Fly
I would, if I were someone else
but a tree must be what it is
that frustrating reality
of nature


Notes: I've always adored the bit in Metamorphoses where Daphne becomes a tree, that moment when he can still feel her beating heart under the hardening bark, and so I just spun off from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment